Thursday, October 21, 2004

lead me to calvary

for those of you that don't know me, i sing at my church with a group of very talented, wonderful men and women. i started going to church when i was a little girl with my grandmother, and singing was my favorite part. we sing a-capella in my church, so we rely strongly on the beautiful harmonies and the amazing lyrics. one of my grandmother's (and now mine) favorite songs was 'lead me to calvary'. we sang that in church on sunday, and what that song meant finally totally made sense. i want to share it, mainly the chorus, and my interpretations.

'LEST I FORGET GETHSEMANE'
~just in case, lord, i should happen to forget where your son was betrayed
'LEST I FORGET THINE AGONY'
~just in case, lord, i should happen to forget all that you went through when your son's hands and feet were pierced with nails and a crown of thorns forced into his scalp...not to mention all of the people that mocked him and called him a fraud
'LEST I FORGET THY LOVE FOR ME'
~just in case, lord, i should happen to forget how your son saved me from the fiery depths of hell by hanging there for hours and hours and hours with no water and no one to take him down from that awful place
'LEAD ME TO CALVARY'
~then take me, lord, to the place that it all happened. let me witness it for myself, to know that you love me enough to send your one and only son to die that cruel death, so that i might have eternal freedom in your kingdom.

i had the awesome priveledge of watching the movie 'the passion of the christ' with my congregation. until then, i only knew what i had read in the bible and been taught in classes. in the span of time that i sat and watched that movie, it all hit me...he was my age. a young man. it hit me - as a mother, i could never stand for that to happen. the pain, the agony, the torture...the love. it was all there for me to see, with my own eyes. i was lead to calvary. and i was amazed.

my debt is cancelled. jesus paid it all.

2 comments:

Justa Dad said...

Great Post!

I also grew up in an acapella church. (C of C) My dad was the song leader for as long as I could remember, and he loved those old standards. He passed away six years ago, but as I read the lyrics of that song in your post, I can still hear him singing that very same song. He loved it as well.

Again, Great blog! Keep up the good writing.

sparkydiva said...

thanks for the encouragement. i've been c of c all my life!!