Sunday, September 14, 2008

the bottle

there is a bottle of cologne buried in my top drawer. i can't bear to have it out on the dresser when you're not here. i had it out the first few days after you went back to iraq, but every time i would look at it, i would ache for you.

i came across it today - as i do most days. and when i see it it makes me sad. it floods my brain with memories of when you were here for 18 days and you belonged only to us. not to your country, not to this war. not to the people who take their freedom for granted, and not to the people who will exercise their ability to change what is wrong with this country. just to your family, the people who love you and want to protect you from the violence and the death and the bloodshed. you are such a good man - a strong man, doing what you do for all of us over here who can't seem to get it right.

and when i take the top off of that bottle and inhale the scent, it makes me weak.

come home soon, and come home safe.

2 comments:

Renee said...

Oh, this made me weepy. I know you posted it like a month ago, but I'm sending a hug. Because I know you'll find that bottle again today and feel the same way all over again.

sparkydiva said...

thank you. i get weepy every time i read this, too :)